When you migrate data from Google Apps, chances are you'll want to migrate more than just your email messages. While previous iterations of MigrationWiz already supported Google Mail, Calendar, Contacts and Drive, it now supports Google Vault - unlocking a new list of possibilities for migration projects.
What is Google Vault?
Google Vault is an add-on for Google Apps that lets you retain, archive, search, and export your organization's email for your eDiscovery and compliance needs. Vault is entirely web-based, so there's no need to install or maintain any software. Vault is included with Google Apps Unlimited or Google Apps for Education, or you can buy Vault licenses for an additional $5 per user, per month.
Google Apps Vault provides the following eDiscovery services:
- Email and chat archiving—Set retention rules to control how long email messages and on-the-record chats are retained before they are removed from user mailboxes and deleted from Google systems.
- Legal holds—Place legal holds on users to preserve all their emails and on-the-record chats indefinitely in order to meet legal or other retention obligations. You can place legal holds on all content in a user's account, or target specific content based on dates and terms.
- Email search—Search your domain's email and on-the-record chats by user account, date, or keyword. Vault supports Boolean, Gmail-specific, and wildcard operator searches.
- Export—Export specific email, on-the-record chats, and files from Drive to standard formats for additional processing and review.
- Audit reports—Use Vault audit reports to learn about actions Vault users have taken during a specified period of time.
In other words, Google Vault contains a lot of data regarding compliancy, data security and legal hold. This is data that you do not want to discard when migrating to a different platform.
MigrationWiz now allows you to take this information from Google and migrate it to any supported source.
How does it work?
- Extraction - The BitTitan Extractor will extract the required information out of Google Vault for the specified users and the specified data. This allows you to take a subset of the users with a subset of the data. A common scenario is to migrate the permanent deleted information that is not considered as drafts and spam to maintain the compliancy structure needed within the company. The extracted data will be uploaded onto an Azure Storage so MigrationWiz can pick it up for the migration process.
- Migration - Migrate the extracted data on the Azure Storage into any supported system in MigrationWiz. Depending on the destination this can be active mailbox, archive mailbox or even Legal Hold.
Read more about this process on our community site, or contact us for additional information.